The Government of the Czech Republic takes an active part in maintaining relations with compatriot communities abroad. Support is provided to several communities in the area of education, to help them keep in touch with the Czech culture and preserve command of the Czech language among compatriot communities members.
The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MEYS) implements a programme facilitating:
- annual offer of 15 scholarships intended to cover two-semester study visits (which can be divided into 30 one-semester stays) to the Czech public universities;
- annual offer of 60 one-month scholarships to pursue a language course;
- attendance of up to 20 teachers and/or future teachers from among the members of compatriot communities at two-week courses of the Czech language teaching methodology;
- funding the stays of up to 15 Czech language teachers with the compatriot communities in Australia, Argentina, Brazil, Croatia, Germany, New Zealand, Paraguay, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine and the USA;
- support for communities taking part in the “Czech School without Borders” and similar projects.
In compliance with the programme focus, compatriots enrolled at the Czech universities for one or two semesters of study pursue courses in the Czech language and literature, Czech language teaching, history, ethnology, history of art and theology.
Detailed information on scholarships (in Czech only) is available at www.dzs.cz (Krajane).